Friday, February 4, 2011

A New Favorite

A couple weekends ago, I watched The Young Victoria and I've been obsessed with it ever since. If you read my post from Monday, you know that I have a bit of an affinity for British monarchs, so this may come as no surprise.

I read a lot about Queen Victoria when I was in elementary school, but hadn't really read anything about her since. I borrowed this movie from my aunt to watch while we were in New Bern and forgot to give it back (oops...). So, needless to say, I've been watching it over and over again ever since. It's getting to be a problem.
It stars Emily Blunt, of The Devil Wears Prada fame, and Rupert Friend, who played Mr. Wickham in the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice (another favorite). They are wonderful and their on-screen chemistry is unbelievable.

The story starts a few months before she becomes queen and follows her through the early years of her marriage to Prince Albert. The costumes are gorgeous (they won the 2010 Academy Award for Best Costume Design!) and the cinematography is really outstanding. There aren't enough good things to say about this movie!
The only grievance I have is that it's not exactly historically accurate... For the most part, it is, but there are little things that most definitely aren't. But that doesn't affect the quality of the acting or the strength of the story, so forget I said anything...

Okay, I'll shut up, now go watch it!





xoxo,
Bee

2 comments:

  1. I love this film as well! Victoria has always been one of my favourite monarchs.

    ReplyDelete