Friday, December 3, 2010

Mama called the doctor and the doctor said...

no more running for Bee! Sad face.

As I've mentioned before, I've had a couple of set-backs when it comes to XC. This summer, about four days before school started, I was diagnosed with a stress fracture in my hip. I was on crutches for almost six weeks, then cleared to cross-train, and cleared to run about six weeks ago. Along with the stress fracture, however, there was an insignificant tear in the labrum (the ring of cartilage the surrounds the hip joint), but the doctor thought that with rest it could possibly go away. He told me to run on it for a couple weeks and see how it felt, and if it was still bothering me to call him. Well, I called him last week and told him that I was still having some pain with running, and even though it wasn't excruciating, I wanted to come in and see him again. He referred me to another doctor at his same practice and we went in and met with him yesterday morning.

Let me just say that this guy's credentials are AMAZING. He got his Bachelor's in Science from UVA, did a stint in the U.S. Army, and then went to Medical School. After recieving his Medical Degree from the "College of Physicians and Surgeons" at Columbia University, he went on to do his residency at Harvard. Wow, right?

Anyway, the guy told me that there was really no way that this thing was going to go away on its own. So, I'm going to have to go under the knife. It's an arthoscopic operation, which means they only make a few tiny incisions with which to insert their instruments... I'm more worried about the anesthesia/IV. I'm not very good with needles.

Worst case scenario, I'm on crutches for four weeks (only two of them at school, though), with three months of "recovery", which basically means cross-training (biking, swimming, and elliptical). So, in the grand scheme of things, not that bad. However, I will have to be on crutches during Christmas, which would completely, totally and utterly stink. 

BUT if they get in there and find that the labrum is damaged beyond repair (this is common in about 95% of patients), then they just remove the entire piece of cartilage and I can bear weight the next day. I'm sure you can guess which one I'd prefer.

The only reason that they aren't just going to remove the whole thing from the get-go is because the procedure is only about 10 years old, no one's really sure what the effects of removing the labrum are. Some surgeons believe that it could lead to higher risk of arthritis and the chance of a hip replacement later on. Needless to say, they want to try to keep me anatomically correct for as long as possible.

I'm pretty bummed, but trying to keep a positive attitude. At least I still have both my legs, you know? I have so much to be thankful for, and I'm trying to see past the inconvenience of the situation and look forward to next XC season when I can race. The glass is half full! (At least that's what I keep telling myself).

Happy Friday!


P.S. I'm wearing my new skirt today!
P.P.S. Because of this "breaking news" I had to postpone my Friday Five post. Look for it tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment